UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
Declaration of Ellen Thomas
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
William Thomas, et. al. | C.A. No. 94-2742
Plaintiffs pro se, | Judge Charles R. Richey
The United States, et. al. |
DECLARATION OF ELLEN THOMAS
December 21, 1994
I, Ellen Thomas, hereby declare under penalty of perjury that the following is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge and recollection:
- I have helped maintain a continuous vigil outside the White House in Lafayette Park since April 13, 1984.
- Since that time, I have believed that my communicative presence is the only service I can preform for the God of Life and Truth.
- My husband's and my signs bear messages I believe are extremely important for good people to consider: "TRUST GOD AND DISARM EVERYWHERE" - "THINK OF A MORE PLEASANT FUTURE. CONVERT THE WAR MACHINES." - "WANTED: WISDOM & HONESTY" - and "PROPOSITION ONE: PEACE THROUGH JUSTICE.
- I make every attempt to maintain a neat, orderly demonstration site which is as aesthetically pleasing as possible. My signs represent many hours of labor, and multiple layers of paints and lacquers.
- On a regular basis Officers O'Neill and Keness threatened me or others tending my vigil signs, using the camping regulation as an excuse.
- I have observed these officers treat homeless people with contempt, kicking them and hitting them with nightsticks. Several times during the past few weeks I observed these officers kicking Marcelino Corneil, a quiet homeless man, disabled by terrible burns, who never caused anyone any trouble in the months he had been coming and going through the park, until December 20th, when he was killed by Park Police officers responding to a call from Officer O'Neil.
- My work in the Park is both physically and emotionally demanding. Unwarranted threats from police make my already difficult job harder -- by causing me emotional stress and concern for my physical safety and that of my friends -- and makes life much more unpleasant without any justifiable cause.
Ellen Thomas - Proposition One Committee &
Peace Park Antinuclear Vigil
POB 27217, DC 20038;
2817 11th Street NW #B
Washington, DC 20001