USDC Cr. No. 84-3552
THOMAS v. REAGAN
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
WILLIAM THOMAS, et al
Plaintiff Pro Se
versus CA 84-3552
Judge Louis Oberdorfer
UNITED STATES, et al
DECLARATION OF DR. ELWIN H. POWELL
RE NOVEMBER 10, 1986
I, Elwin H. Powell, hereby state under penalty of perjury that
the following is accurate and correct to the best of my knowledge:
1) I hold a PhD in sociology, and a tenured position on the
faculty of the State University of New York at Buffalo.
2) On November 10, 1986 I went to Lafayette Park. Shortly
after I arrived there I spoke with William Thomas who had been
standing by some signs. He informed me that he would be leaving
the Park for a short time, but would return very soon.
3) Just after Thomas left the area a Park Police official,
since identified to me as Lt. Irwin, arrived on the scene.
4) A few minutes later Thomas returned and asked Lt. Irwin
for an explanation. The police officer refused to respond.
5) When police people tried to remove the sign Thomas held
on to it. Lt. Irwin grabbed Thomas, who went to the ground.
6) At no time did Thomas raise his voice or speak in an angry
or hostile manner.
Sworn to under penalty of perjury
this _____ day of ____________, 1986.
Elwin H. Powell
Case Listing --- Proposition One ---- Peace Park