USDC Cr. No. 84-3552
THOMAS v. REAGAN
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
WILLIAM THOMAS, et al
Plaintiff Pro Se
versus CA 84-3552
Judge Louis Oberdorfer
UNITED STATES, et al
DECLARATION OF ROBERT DORROUGH RE
MARCH 27, 1987
I, Robert Dorrough, declare under penalty of perjury that the
following is accurate and correct to the best of my knowledge:
1. On March 27, 1987, at approximately 1:00 AM U.S Park Police officer
Cohen came by the demonstration sites at the south side of Lafayette Park,
rousted all the demonstrators and admonished them not to go to sleep.
2. On March 27, 1987, at approximately 6:00 AM U.S Park Police
officer Deriso walked past my signs. I was lying prone when he went by,
I said "Good Morning." He exchanged my greeting, then proceeded to roust
the other demonstrators on the south side of Lafayette Park.
3. At about 7:45 AM Frank Duncan came by with Maureen Vaughn, NPS, and
handed out copies of "Additional Permit Conditions."
4. At about 9:30 AM I was watching Concepcion Picciotto's
demonstration site when officer Deriso approached me. I hate to do this."
He said, as he handed me a citation for 36 CFR 7.96, "camping."
5. "When I came by earlier I observed you camping." Officer
6. "I was awake, was I not?" I inquired.
7. "Yes, but you were lying down. Besides I have my orders to ticket
you." He said.
8. "Who gave you those orders?" I asked.
9. "My superiors." Officer Deriso replied.
10. "But, who gave you these instructions." I asked again, pressing
11. "My superiors this morning at role call."
12. "Who told you to do this at role call?"
13. "Lt. Irwin and Sgt. Moyer." Officer Deriso said.
14. Officer Deriso gave Scott Galindez a citation for camping and
confiscated to small (approximately eighteen inches square) signs, without
stating a reason.
15. At about 9:45 I observed officer Deriso in a conversation with
william Thomas at his demonstration site. There I confronted the officer
with his earlier comments that he was ordered to ticket the demonstrators
at roll-call. He denied that he had said such a thing and re-stated that
he had been given instructions to strictly enforce the regulations.
16. I asked him whether he had a ticket for Ellen Thomas. He said
that he had one made out. I told him that she wasn't there.
Sworn to this ____ day of March, 1987
Case Listing --- Proposition One ---- Peace Park